Wednesday, November 7, 2007

So, who likes the "Do Not Call" list? Have I got something for you...

An article from Out-Law.com about a proposed "do not track" list, much like the "do not call" telephone list that everyone loves so much.

According to the article, "Consumers would be able to sign up to the list so that their online activities would not be monitored by advertisers and used to target adverts to their specific tastes and habits."

The article goes on to explain in detail more about the proposal, and even goes on to discuss one critic's view of the proposal. Randall Rothenberg (he is a chief executive of the IAB) goes on to discuss how anonymous information is good for the overall benefit of better online advertisements.

I tend to agree with his statements. As long as I do not have to deal with pop-ups, and pop-unders, and any other thing popping out at me, then perhaps it is better off. Sometimes online advertising does catch my eye, sometimes it doesn't. Should commercials and such be banned next? I am starting a "do not interrupt me while I am trying to watch the Ultimate Fighter list." Damn commercials...

Alright, so what else needs to be said? The same list for phones, but now directed towards your PC and computing environments. I still get phone calls...

No comments: