Thursday, June 5, 2008

How would you feel about being tracked via your cell phone?

MSNBC reported yesterday that Northeastern University conducted a study in which 100,000 users outside the U.S. were tracked by their cell phones. Did I mention the users were not told about this or consented to this. It was done in secret and concluded that most people stay relatively close to their homes.

Well, I am glad they know that information. It was worth spying on 100,000 people through calls and text messages to find out that people tend to stay close to home. I can live a much happier life now that I know this. This method of collection is illegal in the United States since it was non consensual. The researchers would not comment on which people were used, which country, or the service provider. Over a six month period outgoing and inbound calls and text messages were taken and analyzed.

The authors of the study said that the numbers were anonymous because they were scrambled into a 26 figure code. This would raise almost no ethical or privacy flags if the cell phone users consented to this. Some phone companies actually market tracking abilities to parents and employers. The fact of the matter is not how the information was used, but that the information was taken. So now I am a guinea pig just because? I don't buy it at all. Just because the researchers don't have the numbers I have to assume I'm safe. I think I know better than that. Someone out there has a list of all 100,000 people and their calls.

The scientists feel that since they are using it for research purposes it is alright. The data that could be misused is being handled properly so everything is fine...no need to worry, a scientist said so. The line between public research and personal privacy has surely been crossed here.

No comments: